Vice President of Accounting
Vice President of Accounting
136 Brookline Ave
The VP of Accounting will be responsible for the maintenance of general ledgers and preliminary preparation of financial statements for a portfolio of mixed-use, multifamily, and development properties. This role includes both performing and supervising account analysis and reconciliations, developing internal reporting useful for the accounting department and other operating departments, maintaining, and designing an advanced system of internal controls and issuing accurate financial statements on a timely basis, meeting all external reporting requirements and deadlines. The VP of Accounting will assist in the supervision of both corporate accounting and property accounting, overseeing payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, fixed assets, tax, and revenue recognition. They will also oversee all property budgets, corporate projections and assist with look-ahead planning in partnership with the Finance team. Additionally, the VP of Accounting will work closely with the CFO to create and administer company-wide best practices in accounting, finance, and software-based information technology. The VP of Accounting reports directly to the CFO and will assist in all accounting matters, including ad hoc projects and requests.
The VP of Accounting should have a degree in Accounting, CPA certification, preferred, at least four years of experience with financial analysis, budgeting, and planning and at least five years in the corporate finance environment with a background in public accounting. This individual should have direct experience in the real estate industry and must be detail-oriented with excellent communications, interpersonal and oral/written presentation skills with proven ability to manage staff and lead projects and system implementations independently.
The VP of Accounting is responsible for all company accounting and reporting, with oversight of the Corporate Controller as well as a Property Accounting team of 5-6 individuals at varying levels of experience. This role will also partner with the Director of Fund Accounting and Investor Reporting, where applicable.
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
- Direct all aspects of accounting, including cash management and reconciliation, financial reporting, and balance sheet management for property operations and corporate operating companies
- Provide GAAP guidance and support within the company, research and provide recommendation memorandum to executive team as needed
- Assist with transactional accounting, cash sources and uses and projected tax estimates (with the assistance of third-party providers)
- Review monthly and quarterly account reconciliations and other documents to ensure records adhere to company policies and GAAP
- Ensure proper timing and application of revenue recognition rules, for tenant and non tenant receipts and contracts
- Help coordinate internal and external audits and oversee implementation of agreed-upon recommendations
- Oversee the hiring and career development of accounting department staff, ensuring all employees are qualified and capable of achieving their goals
- Management of the accounting department, driving efficient processes
- Supervise and enhance the development accounting function, including draw reviews and equity reconciliations, and process build
- Assist with lender reporting and compliance, oversee team tracking and adherence to reporting deadlines, review more complex liquidity and guarantee requirements and DSCR projections and ensure good standing
- Assist CFO with enterprise level lines of credit and ongoing credit requirements required for growth and capitalization
- Oversee staff to support budgeting, forecasting, and variance analyses
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting and 12-15 years of accounting and finance experience
- CPA and/or CMA preferred
- Proven accounting experience with a large regional or Big Four firm
- Large ERP system experience, Yardi a plus
- Clear path of stable, progressive growth
- Ability to work without direct supervision and effectively manage tasks and time
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization
- Strong desire for success in a fast-paced environment
Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion:
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.