Senior Property Accountant
136 Brookline Ave.
Samuels & Associates is a Boston-based real estate investment and development company with a successful track record of developing large scale mixed-use urban projects. The firm develops, owns & operates commercial and residential assets throughout New England. The position is for an experienced commercial real estate property accountant who is proactive, can work independently and as part of a team with proven experience in real estate accounting and financial reporting. The ideal candidate will have experience accounting for complex, mixed-use properties and have full-service use of ERP system and property management software integrations.
This role will work closely with peers within the department and with Property Management partners on general ledger accounting, budgeting and cash forecasting, financial reporting, and general financial support. This role may also assist in the development of policies and best practices, new technology integrations related to accounting and information systems, and financial analysis. This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, successful real estate team that offers a great culture, exciting growth/learning opportunities and a results-driven work environment.
The Senior Property Accountant will have responsibility for maintaining accurate books, records, and financial reports for a mixed-use portfolio of operating properties. This includes all accounting process including journal entries, bank reconciliations, cash receipts and AR review, account payable review, and cash management. Additional areas of responsibility include monthly and quarterly financial Reporting, budgeting & forecasting, variance analysis and lender compliance. The Senior Property Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and indirectly to the Director of Accounting.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Responsible for daily operations of 5-10 properties. The Senior Property Accountant should be comfortable with complex, mixed-use assets.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting packages and workpapers for properties including:
- Bank reconciliations
- Variance analysis
- Balance sheet, Reserves and Capital Expenditure analysis
- Review, analyze and record adjustments and accruals to general ledger.
- Review and approve invoices as part of a workflow within Nexus (AP software) at least twice a week.
- Coordinate with JV Partners on property related financial activity.
- Review and apply cash receipts & assist in monitoring outstanding receivables with property management.
- Prepare CAM, Property Tax and Utility reimbursements.
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets.
- Assist with the preparation of property forecasts.
- Prepare or assist with preparation of annual audit and tax returns packages.
- Prepare or assist with lender reporting requirements.
- Work directly with property and asset management teams to ensure financial integrity of assigned properties.
- Coordinate with lease administration/analysis and development teams, as needed.
- Other projects including participation in due diligence and financial analysis as it relates to acquisitions and dispositions. Any other accounting portfolio level project as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Accounting or Finance, CPA is a plus.
- 5+ years of real estate accounting experience.
- Property Management/ERP software proficiency, preferably Yardi Voyager. Experience with paperless AP systems is a plus.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Strong organizational ability with high attention to detail.
- Must be an excellent communicator and be able to work closely with the accounting team and other S&A departments and a noted team player.
- Must be able to work independently while asking questions for assistance when appropriate.
- Intellectually curious with the desire to streamline accounting systems and implement best practices/procedures for maximum efficiency.
Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion:
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.