MEP Project Manager
The MEP Project Manager is responsible for coordinating and managing all necessary resources throughout the entire project from design development through closeout including: budget, costs, schedule, risk management, general work performance and quality, and overall progress against the plan. The MEP PM shall ensure that the firm’s expectations and budgetary guidelines are met or exceeded.
While the initial focus is a $200M+, 500,000 sf office and lab building connected to (but operationally segregated from) an existing building in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, this position is intended to be permanent and may involve consulting or sharing expertise on the MEP components of the firm’s other projects in the Boston area.
- Communicate with balance of the Development Team, Design Team, General Contractor, Subcontractors and Vendors to assist them in coordinating the project schedule as it pertains to MEP systems.
- Coordinate with existing building’s management team to ensure that systems meet operational criteria
- Review proposed MEP Project design and evaluate alternatives as necessary including, as appropriate, construction cost, operating cost, marketplace appropriateness for target tenants, etc.
- Represent firm’s interest with contractors, architects, consultants, local authorities, vendors and subcontractors.
- Oversee financial aspects of the contract, subcontracts, and purchase orders.
- Build effective working relationships with the project team.
- Work with Leasing team to explore potential tenant deals and evaluate potential tenant design & construction teams as appropriate.
- Work with perspective tenants and their design & construction teams as lease commitments develop
- Review the general contract and contract documents and confirm the budget setup and project milestones in conjunction with project lead.
- Evaluate subcontractor schedule of values & and project logs, plan for project safety and mobilization, including review and validation with team members
Purchasing process and document control
- Review and evaluate General Contractor developed procurement schedule
- Assess completeness of General Contractor MEP scope letters, recommendations of award and proposed future scope holds & allowances.
- Attend all schedule and MEP meetings necessary to monitor and manage the project, chairing as appropriate
- Actively participate in GC and subcontractor MEP Building Modeling process and lead effort for timely design/development team responses to coordination questions.
- Review and coordinate General Contractor requisition process.
- Review and Evaluate all MEP related General Contractor Change Orders.
- Ensure receipt of all necessary operations & maintenance manuals, project documentation and files
- Ensure proper subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, and punch list process
- Ensure timely receipt of all warranties, as-builts and training to the owner.
- Participate in all significant owner start-up and equipment training.
- Represent developer for third party commissioning process and special inspections of all MEP systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or applicable discipline and experience relative to project size/scope
- Experience with lab projects highly preferred.
- Excellent business judgment demonstrated by consistently achieving profitability objectives and strong project close-outs with client and subcontractor relationships in good standing
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail evidenced by a strong command of all applicable contract and legal provisions
- Ability to consistently analyze and execute financial trade-offs which frequently involve dealing with incomplete data and ambiguity
- Ability to constantly multi-task and handle competing priorities
- Judgment to know when to appropriately escalate issues up the chain of command
- A strong sense of urgency and initiative. Able to quickly study and react to complex issues
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to confidently and decisively take action
- Team leader with excellent diplomatic and communication skills, able to handle and resolve conflicts effectively in a firm but fair manner