The General Manager provides leadership, direction, and support to a property operations team to facilitate the effective management of a large urban mixed-use development and deliver superior customer service while maximizing the value of the asset. He or she will work collaboratively to develop the long-term strategy, annual business plans and operating budget.
- Effectively launch a new S&A managed property by accepting management operations from construction team and proactively lease up available apartments prior to delivery of certificate of occupancy.
- Monitor targeted proforma budget goals to ensure a proper lease up and stabilization of property.
- Oversees the overall marketing and leasing efforts and strategically manages the leasing process utilizing up-to-date knowledge of market and competitive properties to achieve targeted revenue and budgeted occupancy goals.
- Train and develop a new team to cohesively manage and deliver a successful lease up while creating a new community of residents
- Oversee and manage the daily site operations as the senior leader by effectively partnering with and overseeing the onsite personnel and contracted service.
- Implement corporate policies, procedures, and operating goals.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and provide continuous feedback to the property operations team to assist in their development and ensure optimal performance.
- Manage the asset’s finances and administration, including preparation of annual budgets and capital plans, weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting, annual operating expense, and real estate tax reconciliations and rent collection in collaboration with the Director of Portfolio Operations, Accounting and Asset Management departments.
- Successfully onboard all contracted vendors to the new property and provide them with guidance and supervision in order to maintain the asset.
- Provide oversight for tenant improvements and capital projects. Facilitate the RFP & bidding process, as well as hire & manage architects, engineers, contractors, and consultants for this work.
- Assist in solving problems, including employee relations, tenant service issues and building operational issues.
- Inspects communal areas, apartment units and grounds on a regular basis. Offers recommendations to management regarding improvements to the overall operation of the community.
- Familiarizes oneself with all aspects of maintenance to ensure the community is operating at peak performance.
- Understand and apply principles of Fair Housing and all other state and local laws.
- Ensure resident satisfaction through the handling of resident service requests and various concerns as required in addition to attending and assisting with resident social functions and activities.
- May be required to drive motorized vehicle on or offsite for Company business and run errands, as necessary.
- Always represents the Company in a professional manner. Consistently maintains a professional courteous attitude when dealing with residents, coworkers, and the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Company may revise this job description from time to time as business needs require. It is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all the functions of the job, nor to limit the Company’s right to assign other functions to an employee in this position. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
- Ability to lead a successful team.
- Commitment to deliver outstanding customer service.
- Advanced situational judgment – ability to know what is needed to satisfy the customer and resolve issues.
- Strong sense of accountability – ensures that you will do what you say that you are going to do.
- Strong financial management oversight and interpretation, oversight of monthly P&L’s, annual budget reforecast and budget.
- College Degree with Real Estate or business-related course of study preferred.
- Property Management and leasing experience required- lease up experience preferred.
- Computer literacy required.
- Experience with computerized property management and/or accounting software preferred, specifically Yardi, YieldStar and Nexus.
- Ability to understand and explain legal documents (i.e., leases and addenda).
- Ability to understand, build and manage budget files, capital plans and other financial and/or accounting related documents and reports.
- Experience with Computers w/Internet and e-mail capabilities, Telephone, Facsimile, Photocopier, Vehicle.
- Ability to interpret, evaluate and communicate detailed written or verbal instructions to others accurately and quickly, including answering phones, attending meetings, written correspondence, or other forms of communication.
- Ability to organize various office systems through adjusting, connecting, lifting, pulling, pushing, bending, or folding for the purpose of proper records development and/or management.
- Ability to lift, push, pull or carry up to 15 pounds for the dissemination of documents, supplies, materials, etc. to various locations throughout the office/facility.
Physical and visual activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the essential functions of this job. “Commonly associated” is not intended to mean always or only. There may be different experiences that suggest other ways or circumstances where reasonable changes or accommodations are appropriate.
- Valid Drivers’ License, good driving record and Auto Insurance required.
As a Samuels & Associates team member, you represent Samuels & Associates. While you are on the job, Samuels & Associates Residential expects you to wear clothing and accessories that are appropriate in a professional business environment. If a uniform is required at the property, you are expected to wear it.
- Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to a variety of practical situations and accurately follow standardized procedures that may occasionally call for minor deviations. Must be able to think rationally beyond a specific set of instructions.
- Must be able to work at a fast pace, perform duties while under pressure, and meet deadlines in a timely manner, to interact/communicate with other associates, residents, visitors, and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Commitment to Diversity Equity and Inclusion:
We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates are critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.